Forum sur la musique classique

AccueilAccueil  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Le Deal du moment : -45%
WHIRLPOOL OWFC3C26X – Lave-vaisselle pose libre ...
Voir le deal
339 €

John STAINER (1840-1901)

AuteurMessage
joachim
Admin
joachim

John STAINER (1840-1901) Empty
MessageSujet: John STAINER (1840-1901)   John STAINER (1840-1901) Empty2015-03-29, 20:18

John Stainer (Londres, 6 juin 1840 - Vérone, 31 mars 1901) organiste et compositeur anglais de musique religieuse, en particulier d'un oratorio The crucifixion pour solistes (ténor et basse), chœur et orgue, sur un texte du révérend Sparrow-Simpson.

Né à Southwark en Londres, il chanta dans le chœur de garçons de la cathédrale Saint-Paul, et à l'âge de 16 ans, fut engagé comme organiste au St. Michael College de Tenbury. En 1860 il devint l'organiste du Magdalen College d'Oxford, puis de la cathédrale Saint-Paul en 1872.

Il fut également actif dans l'enseignement, en devenant professeur de musique à l'université d'Oxford en 1889, et fut pionnier dans la recherche sur la musique ancienne, en particulier sur les productions de Guillaume Dufay.

Oeuvres principales

Anthems

Awake, awake, put on thy strength, O Zion
Blessed is the man that endureth temptation
Drop down, ye heavens, from above
God so loved the world (chorus from The Crucifixion)
Grieve not the Holy Spirit of God
Hail, Gladdening Light, of His pure glory poured
Holy Father, God Almighty
How beautiful upon the mountains
I could not do without thee
I desired wisdom
In the cross of christ I glory
I saw the Lord
Jesus, tender shepherd, hear me
Lead kindly light
Leave us not, neither forsake us
Lift up your heads, rejoice
Lord Jesus, think on me
O dayspring
O Zion, that bringest good tidings
We sing the glorious conquest
What are these that are arrayed in white robes
Services[edit]
Full services in E flat, D/A, B flat and D
Communion services in A, F and C

Hymn Tunes

Wycliff ("All for Jesus") (1887)
Cross of Jesus (1887)
Love Divine (1889)

Oratorios

Gideon (1865)
The Daughter of Jairus (1878)
St. Mary Magdalan (1887)
The Crucifixion (1887)

Carols et Hymnes

Christmas Carols, New and Old with Henry Ramsden Bramley (London: Novello, Ewer & Co., 1878)
A choirbook of the office of holy communion from the Cathedral Prayer Book (London: Novello & Co., 1883)
The Hymnal Companion to the Book of Common Prayer with accompanying tunes with Edward Henry Bickersteth, Charles Vincent, D.J. Word and John Stainer (1890)
Church Hymnary , John Stainer (ed.), 1902

Orgue

The Village Organist , John Stainer (ed.), 1893

Ecrits

A Theory of Harmony founded on the temporal scale, with questions and exercises for the use of students (1871)
A theory of harmony founded on the tempered scale with questions and exercises for the use of students John Stainer (1872)
Composition (1877?)
The Music of the Bible: with an account of the development of modern musical instruments from ancient types (London, Novello, Ewer & Co., 1879)
A Treatise on harmony and the classification of chords with questions and exercises for the use of students' John Stainer (1880)
The Present State of Music in England: An Inagural Lecture delivered in the Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford, November 13, 1889 (Oxford, England: Horace Hart, 1889)
A Dictionary of Musical Terms ed. John Stainer and W.A. Barrett (1889)
Catalogue of English song books forming a portion of the library of Sir John Stainer, with appendices of foreign song books, collections of carols, books on bells John Stainer (1891)
Music in Relation to the Intellect and Emotions (1892)
The Story of the Cross (1893)
Harmony with an appendix containing one hundred graduated exercises (London: Novello, Ewer & Co.,1893)
The Organ (1909)
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

John STAINER (1840-1901)
Page 1 sur 1